these shots are from a kimberly ovitz collection, and being totally obsessed with this sweater, i decided to try my own version. though i must admit, its a bit far fetched from resembling this gorgeous sweater.
(read all the steps first because i did the sewing last although i would recommend doing it first.. i was having a few difficulties with the sewing machine. but its totally up to you- whatever's convienient)
1) cut a large rectangle in the back of an XL or XXL hanes white men pocket tee (the size will depend on the length you'd like your dress to be)
2) on the vertical sides of the rectangle, cut an equal amount of slits on both sides (approximately .25 to .5 inches in height)
3) cut this many strips in the rectangle that you cut out of the shirt (they don't have to be perfect, the messier, the better)
4) stretch the strips (but only a little bit, as they will rip), so they "roll-up" and resemble something similar to a tunnel
5) tie these strips to the fringe on the shirt (the two knots will be visible)
6) try the shirt on and hem the sides according to the desired tightness of your dress (i sewed mine approximately 2.5 inches on both sides so i could sew and cut off the excess inside of where the sleeve began - like a tank dress (but you can take in the sleeves as well if you like this look better)
7) option- cut out the collar and cut the bottom hem off (about 1 inch off bottom of dress) for a more "disheveled look"
VIOLA! cheap perfection baby.
and as always- e-mail me your results @ firstname.lastname@example.org and ill post your DIY as well!
and don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY here!
images via googleimages, kimberlyovitz