10 Commandments of Home Hair Coloring
1. Identify your own natural hair color and determine what you would like your color to be.
2. Never go 2-3 shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color.
3. Try on wigs first, if you want to make a more dramatic color change.
4. Always do a strand test first. Take a section of hair from above the ear (1/2").
5. Check the color strand in half the designated time: i.e. 15 min. instead of 30 min. Make sure to see it dry against a white towel.
6. Always buy at least 2 maybe 3 boxes of haircolor depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
7. Always use baby oil or Vaseline to protect the skin at the hairline from staining before coloring.
8. When doing repeated touch-ups never run the color at one time from root to end. You run the risk of turning blonde hair green, and brunette hair "shoe polishy".
9. Look for hair care products such as shampoos and conditioners which say "color protection" on them. They will extend the life of your color and keep your hair color looking vibrant.
10. Never do your hair color on a friday night, the 1-800 Hotline may be closed.
speaking of; im considering doing pastels in my hair.. that trend is almost too good to pass up. what do you think? maybe in time for new years?
p.s. don't forget to mark your calendars for the rodarte collaboration with target which comes out on the 20th (sunday). you can see some pieces from the collection in the december issue of teen vogue as tavi, style rookie, models them
see the rest of the collaboration's lookbook here